-->

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Internal Combustion

Good afternoon everyone, and hello from one of MDOT's wonderful highway rest areas on I-96!

I find myself here after a night at Grand Valley State University, where I visited last night to see some old friends. Its a drive I have made many times over the years for reasons as noble as drinking and sex, as many of my friends ended up there after highschool and it seemed like every 3 months someone I met found a reason to live on that side of the state. However, I had not made the trip in quite some time, and this was likely to be my last run out there as a good chunk of the folks I know in the area are on the edge of graduation and will soon move away to start their lives as responsible adults and contributing members of society (suckers).

Naturally, this would be the trip where my car breaks down.

Alas, it seems as though I have finally pushed my trusty stead too far. Being over an hour from home, the complimentary 5 mile tow that comes with my AAA membership was about enough to get me off the road and to a rest stop. I called in a favor, and someone should be by to give me a lift back to my side of the state soon, but in the couple hours I spent staring at the highway I meditated on one simple truth:

When you own a glorified RC car held together with modeling glue and hope, don't make a habit of trips over 100 miles.

At least it is nice out.


No comments:

Post a Comment